Diverse Shorts: Literature to Promote Critical Thinking by English Media Centre
Diverse Shorts (Print) with EMC-Free Critical Literacy Cards
This publication fills a much-needed gap in the educational experience of today’s secondary pupils, with its focus on a richly diverse range of texts to promote critical thinking. From Andrea Levy to David Almond, from Angie Thomas to George Orwell, and from Alex Wheatle to ZZ Packer, pupils are offered challenging material by renowned authors writing about issues important to the world today. Accompanying material within the book encourages pupils to explore the texts from a range of critical standpoints. Perfect for English lessons, Citizenship, PSHE and tutor time.
- Literature to challenge, entertain and inspire
- Develops vital critical reading skills
- Engages young people with real world values
- Activities to use with each short story or extract
- Read singly or in thematically linked clusters
- Includes nine specifically developed critical literacy cards:‘identity’, ‘freedom’, ‘tolerance, rights & respect’, ‘justice’, ‘diversity & community’, ‘democracy’, ‘equality & responsibility’, ‘change & action’, ‘power & control’.
Stories and novel extracts for 11-16-year-olds: David Almond, Sita Brahmachari, Anne Cassidy, Ted Chiang, Helen Dunmore, Hans Fallada, Elizabeth Laird, Patrice Lawrence, Andrea Levy, George Orwell, ZZ Packer, Bali Rai, Gillian Slovo, Angie Thomas, Alex Wheatle, Benjamin Zephaniah
It includes a set of nine specifically developed critical literacy cards cover the following issues: ‘identity’, ‘freedom’, ‘tolerance, rights & respect’, ‘justice’, ‘diversity & community’, ‘democracy’, ‘equality & responsibility’, ‘change & action’, ‘power & control’.
Publisher: English & Media Centre
Number of pages: 160
Dimensions: 238 x 168 mm